3/20/2013

My Facebook status rant about Facebook


QUESTION: If you didn't have Facebook, text messaging or email how many people would you be in contact everyday? Who really cares about you?

So is Facebook great for keeping in touch or is it just great to keep in touch on the surface. You know, click on "like", comment on a photo or facebook status and that is being in touch all the sudden. Do you really call and ask the person how they are and make plans to see them or just stop by their house and say hello? Does that happen anymore? I remember growing up, people would just stop by my parents house and we'd welcome them. It was so nice to see them face to face and catch up. Now that is the equivalent of a lame text message. Really? A text message? Technology wasn't meant for what we have become.

We have become social misfits. My cell phone shouldn't be called a phone. It should be called "social electronic pocket device". Do we even know how to make new friends on the outside world? Most of us here have at LEAST 1 person on facebook that you strictly know from facebook. What is that? Do you really need a total stranger to be your friend or do you just like them in your "friends list" so that they will like the stuff you post and vice versa? Some of you actually made friends with those total strangers and met them in person or speak to them on the phone. Great, but if facebook shutdown do you really think you can sustain that relationship? The big question is do we really have a deep relationship with one another or are we just acting like we do on these social networks?

There is stuff that I do like about Facebook; post images, comments or videos of things that are important to me that I'd like for you to see; but what does it do for my life to post at the end of the day? What substance has it brought to my life and to my family's life? I could be walking in nature, playing with my baby, or doing something human and healthful and not doing something that is pure nonsense.

We have to take a step back and realize that we have enslaved ourselves to our fb contact list, to the likes, to the comments, to the information on your newsfeed that is all just pixels of light shining through a plastic device. Where is the profoundness in all this? Where is the heart in all this?

A facebook "like" isn't enough anymore.

I welcome back to my life phone calls on my LAN Line, Face to face meetups, written letters, drop-by my home, send me photos of your kids so I can frame them, ask me how I am doing, Thanks you cards, and real hugs and kisses PLEASE!

LOVE,
Val

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. And it is the reason I ditched my facebook quite a while ago. I am a true lover of hand-written notes or cards, pictures I can hold....and people I can see <3

    ReplyDelete